*Quick to Prep *Gluten-Free–Optional
Makes 8 servings
Prep. Time: 15 minutes Cooking Time: 3–4 hours Ideal slow-cooker size: 4-qt.
Needed at Time of Preparation:
1½ lbs. boneless, skinless chicken thighs
16-oz. jar salsa, as hot or mild as you like *choose a gluten-free brand to keep this recipe gluten-free
15-oz. can black beans
½ lb. fresh or frozen corn
1 Tbsp. chili powder
½ Tbsp. cumin
1 Tbsp. minced garlic
1 tsp. dried oregano
¼ tsp. cayenne pepper
¼ tsp. salt
“freshly ground black pepper to taste
¼ cup of water
- Place all ingredients into a gallon-sized freezer bag.
- Remove as much air as possible and seal bag.
- Label the bag with the information below, then freeze.
TIP: If 8 servings are just too much for you, either split the recipe between 2 freezer bags or make it all and freeze the leftovers.
Information for Freezer Bag:
TACO CHICKEN BOWLS
Makes 8 servings
Cooking Time: 3–4 hours Ideal slow-cooker size: 4-qt.
Needed at Time of Serving:
2 cups uncooked rice
2 cups shredded cheese
favourite salsa or hot sauce
- Thaw bag completely for 24–48 hours or more.
- Grease interior of slow-cooker crock.
- Empty contents of freezer bag into the crock and spread out evenly.
- Cover. Cook on Low 3–4 hours, or until an instant-read meat thermometer inserted into center of the thigh registers 160–165°F.
- Near the end of chicken’s cooking time, cook 2 cups of rice in microwave or stovetop, according to its package directions.
- When chicken is done cooking, stir with a fork to shred meat. Or using a slotted spoon, lift chicken into a large bowl and shred it with 2 forks. Stir back into the sauce and keep warm.
- Have each diner make a pile of rice on her/his plate. Top with taco chicken mixture, then shredded cheese, fresh cilantro, and salsa or hot sauce.