*10 Ing. or Fewer *Gluten-Free–Optional
Makes 8 servings
Prep. Time: 20 minutes Cooking Time: 6–8 hours Ideal slow-cooker size: 7-qt.
Needed at Time of Preparation:
3-lb. boneless beef chuck roast
½ tsp. salt
¼ tsp. pepper
2 cups soy sauce *replace with tamari or liquid aminos to keep the recipe gluten-free
½ cup brown sugar
½ cup white sugar
¼ cup minced onion
1 Tbsp. ground ginger
1 clove garlic, minced
½ cup of orange juice
- Salt and pepper the roast on all sides and seal in a freezer bag, removing as much air as possible. The label “#1.
- In a second freezer bag, add the remaining ingredients.
Taking out as much air as possible and seal bag. The label #2.
- Place both bags into a third gallon-sized freezer bag and remove as much air as possible.
- Label the third bag with the information opposite, then freeze.
TIP: If 8 servings are just too much for you, either split the recipe between 2 freezer bags or make it all and freeze the leftovers.
Information for Freezer Bag:
BEEF ROAST WITH HOMEMADE GINGER-ORANGE SAUCE
Makes 8 servings
Cooking Time: 6–8 hours Ideal slow-cooker size: 7-qt.
Serving Suggestion: Serve over mashed potatoes or rice. Or serve in sandwiches.
- Thaw bag completely for 24–48 hours or more.
- Grease interior of slow-cooker crock.
- Empty roast from freezer bag #1 into the crock.
- Cover. Cook on Low 6–8 hours, or until an instant-read meat thermometer registers 150–160°F when stuck in the center of the roast.
- About 45–50 minutes before the end of cooking time, empty contents of bag #2 in the saucepan. Simmer 15 minutes, stirring occasionally so it doesn’t stick.
- Using sturdy tongs or 2 metal spatulas, lift cooked roast into a big bowl. Shred with 2 forks.
- Drain drippings and broth out of the slow cooker. Save for gravy or soup.
- Return shredded meat to crock. Stir in the sauce you made on the stove from bag #2.
- Cover slow cooker again. Cook on Low 30 minutes, or until heated through.