Makes 8 servings
Prep. Time: 15–20 minutes Cooking Time: 4–5 hours Ideal slow-cooker size: 5-qt.
Needed at Time of Preparation:
½ cup onions, chopped
½ cup green bell pepper, chopped
8-oz. can tomato sauce
2 eggs, beaten
1 cup white cheddar cheese, shredded
1 cup soft bread crumbs *choose gluten-free bread crumbs to keep this recipe gluten-free
1 tsp. salt
dash black pepper
¼ tsp. dried thyme
1½ lbs. ground beef
½ lb. ground pork
- Place all ingredients into a gallon-sized freezer bag and smoosh until everything is well-combined.
- Remove as much air as possible and seal bag.
- Name the bag with the corresponding information, and then freeze it.
TIP: Leftover meatloaf makes great sandwiches! Or, freeze your leftover meatloaf slices into single portions for another day.
Information for Freezer Bag:
CHEESY BEEF AND PORK MEATLOAF
Makes 8 servings
Cooking Time: 4–5 hours Ideal slow-cooker size: 5-qt.
Serving Suggestion: Goes well with mashed potatoes and peas.
- Thaw bag completely for 24–48 hours or more.
- Grease interior of slow-cooker crock.
- Make a tinfoil sling for your slow cooker so you can lift the cooked meatloaf out easily. Begin by folding a strip of foil accordion-fashion so that it’s about 1½–2 inches wide, and long enough to fit from the top edge of the crock, down inside and up the other side, plus a 2-inch overhang on each side of the cooker. Make a second strip exactly like the first.
- Place the one strip in the crock, running from end to end. Place the second strip in the crock, running from side to side. The 2 strips should form a cross in the bottom of the crock.
- Remove contents of the freezer bag, shape into a loaf, and place it in the crock, centring it where the 2 foil handles cross.
- Cover. Cook on Low 4–5 hours, or until meatloaf is cooked in the centre.
- Using the foil handles, lift the meatloaf out of the crock and onto a cutting board. Allow standing 15 minutes.
- Cut into slices and serve.