*10 Ing. or Fewer *Gluten-Free–Optional
Makes 6–8 servings
Prep. Time: 15–20 minutes Cooking Time: 4 hours Ideal slow-cooker size: oval 5-qt.
Needed at Time of Preparation:
1½ lbs. ground beef
1 medium onion, chopped finely
1 cup dry bread crumbs *use gluten-free bread crumbs to make this recipe gluten-free
1 cup tomato juice
1 large egg or 2 small eggs
1 tsp. salt
scant ¼ tsp. black pepper
- Place all ingredients into a gallon-sized freezer bag and smoosh until all ingredients are well-combined.
- Remove as much air as possible and seal bag.
- Name the bag with the corresponding information, and then freeze it.
TIP: Leftover meatloaf makes great sandwiches! Or, freeze your leftover meatloaf slices into single portions for another day.
Information for Freezer Bag:
MEATLOAF WITH SWEET TOMATO GLAZE
Makes 6–8 servings
Cooking Time: 4 hours Ideal slow-cooker size: oval 5-qt.
Needed at Time of Cooking:
3 Tbsp. brown sugar
¼ cup ketchup
1 tsp. dry mustard
- Thaw bag completely for 24–48 hours or more.
- Grease interior of slow-cooker crock.
- Make a tinfoil sling for your slow cooker so you can lift the cooked meatloaf out easily. Begin by folding a strip of foil accordion-fashion so that it’s about 1½–2 inches wide, and long enough to fit from the top edge of the crock, down inside and up the other side, plus a 2-inch overhang on each side of the cooker. Make a second strip exactly like the first.
- Place the one strip in the crock, running from end to end. Place the second strip in the crock, running from side to side. The 2 strips should form a cross in the bottom of the crock.
- Remove contents of a freezer bag, shape into a loaf, and place it in the crock, centring it where the 2 foil handles cross.
- In a bowl, mix the brown sugar, ketchup, and dry mustard together.
- Spoon half the glaze over the meatloaf. Reserve the rest for later.
- Cover. Cook on Low 4–5 hours.
- Using the foil handles, lift the meatloaf out of the cooker. Place on the rimmed baking sheet.
- Spoon remaining glaze over top.
- Place meat on a rimmed baking sheet under the broiler for 2–4 minutes. Keep watch so it browns and bubbles but doesn’t burn.
- Let stand for 10 minutes. Then slice and serve.