*10 Ing. or Fewer *Gluten-Free
Makes 8–10 servings
Prep. Time: 15 minutes Cooking Time: 6–8 hours Ideal slow-cooker size: 5-qt.
Needed at Time of Preparation:
3 Tbsp. lime juice
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 jalapeño, seeded and finely chopped
1 large onion, chopped
1 Tbsp. chili powder, or a combination of cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, and cayenne pepper
¼ tsp. cumin
⅛ tsp. cayenne pepper
1½ lbs. boneless beef chuck roast
½ tsp. salt
½ tsp. coarsely ground black pepper
- Place all ingredients into a gallon-sized freezer bag and smoosh everything together.
- Remove as much air as possible and seal bag.
- Name the bag with the corresponding information, and then freeze it.
TIP: If 8–10 servings are just too much for you, either split the recipe between 2 freezer bags or make it all and freeze the leftovers into portions appropriate for your family.
Information for Freezer Bag:
Makes 8–10 servings
Cooking Time: 6–8 hours Ideal slow-cooker size: 5-qt.
Needed at Time of Cooking/Serving:
1 Tbsp. lime juice
hard or soft tortillas *choose gluten-free tortillas to keep this recipe gluten-free
refried beans, cooked onions and bell peppers, chopped lettuce, shredded Mexican-blend cheese, salsa, guacamole, sour cream, optional
- Thaw bag completely for 24–48 hours or more.
- Grease interior of slow-cooker crock.
- Empty contents of freezer bag into the crock.
- Cover. Cook on low for 6–8 hours, or until instant-read meat thermometer registers 145–150°F when stuck in the center of the roast.
- Remove beef to a cutting board and when cool enough to handle, shred with fingers or 2 forks.
- Place shredded beef in a large bowl. Strain remaining liquid in the slow cooker over the bowl or measuring cup, discarding solids.
- Add strained liquid and add 1 Tbsp. lime juice to beef in a bowl. Stir to combine.
- Cover and keep warm until ready to serve in either hard or soft tortillas, along with your optional favourite