*10 Ing. or Fewer *Gluten-Free–Optional
Makes 10 servings
Prep. Time: 15–20 minutes Cooking Time: 6–8 hours Ideal slow-cooker size: 6- to 8-qt.
Needed at Time of Preparation:
3-lb. boneless pork loin roast, short and wide rather than long and narrow
1 tsp. salt
½ tsp. coarsely ground black pepper
1 medium onion, sliced
6 cloves garlic, peeled
8 strips (each 3 inches long, ½ inch wide) fresh lemon peel
1 lb. baby carrots
½ tsp. dried thyme
1 cup chicken broth *use a gluten-free brand to make this recipe gluten-free
- Place all ingredients into a gallon-sized freezer bag and smoosh around to coat everything well.
- Remove as much air as possible and seal bag.
- Label the bag with the information below, then freeze.
TIP: If 10 servings are just too much for you, either split the recipe between 2–3 freezer bags or make it all and freeze the leftovers.
Information for Freezer Bag:
GARLIC PORK ROAST
Makes 10 servings
Cooking Time: 6–8 hours Ideal slow-cooker size: 6- to 8-qt.
Needed at Time of Cooking:
1½ lbs. red potatoes, cut in ½-inch-thick slices
Serving Suggestion: Serve with rice or couscous and a salad. *omit couscous if making this gluten-free
- Thaw bag completely for 24–48 hours or more.
- Grease interior of slow-cooker crock.
- Place potatoes in the bottom of the crock, then empty the contents of the freezer bag on top.
- Cover. Cook on Low 6–8 hours, or until instant-read meat thermometer registers 140–145°F when stuck in the center of the roast. Remove roast to the cutting board. Cover to keep warm. Let stand for 10 minutes.
- Check if onions, potatoes, and carrots are as tender as you like them. If not, cover crock and continue cooking another 30–60 minutes, or until veggies are as done as you want.
- Slice pork into ½-inch-thick slices. Place on a deep platter. Serve topped with vegetables and broth.