Makes 8 servings
Prep. Time: 45 minutes Cooking Time: 2¼ hours Ideal slow-cooker size: 5-qt.
Needed at Time of Preparation:
2 medium-sized onions, chopped
2 green bell peppers, chopped
3 ribs celery, chopped
1 cup chopped, cooked lean ham
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1½ cups fat-free low-sodium beef broth *use gluten-free broth to keep this recipe gluten-free
28-oz. can low-sodium chopped tomatoes
2 Tbsp. chopped parsley, fresh or dried
1 tsp. dried basil
½ tsp. dried thyme
¼ tsp. black pepper
⅓ tsp. cayenne pepper
- Label 2 gallon-sized freezer bags with the numbers #1and #2.
- In freezer bag #1, add the onions, bell peppers, celery, ham, and garlic. Taking out as much air as possible and seal bag.
- In bag #2, add the beef broth, chopped tomatoes, parsley, basil, thyme, black pepper, and cayenne pepper. Taking out as much air as possible and seal bag.
- Place bags #1 and #2 into a third gallon-sized freezer bag. Taking out as much air as possible and seal bag.
- Label the bag with the information opposite, then freeze.
TIP: If 8 servings are just too much for you, either split the recipe between 2 freezer bags or make it all and freeze the leftovers.
Information for Freezer Bag:
Makes 8 servings
Cooking Time: 2¼ hours Ideal slow-cooker size: 5-qt.
Needed at Time of Cooking/Serving:
2 Tbsp. butter
1½ cups uncooked instant rice
1 lb. shelled, deveined, medium-sized shrimp
1 Tbsp. chopped parsley, for garnish
- Thaw bag completely for 24–48 hours or more.
- Melt butter in crock set on High. Empty freezer bag #1 into the crock. Cover and cook 30 minutes.
- Add ½ cups uncooked instant rice. Cover and cook 15 minutes.
- Add contents of bag #2 into the crock. Cover and cook on High for 1 hour.
- Add shrimp. Cook at a height of 30 minutes, or until the liquid is absorbed.
- Garnish with 1 Tbsp. parsley.